Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eating below the line day 2

Yesterday was day 2 of me feeding my family below the line. There were no parties or eating at a friends' house. We were strictly eating what I purchased for the challenge.

On that note, I really hate using the word challenge. Granted it is a challenge for my family, but this is a way of life for 1.4 million people. I feel the word challenge is demeaning. I just wish there was a word that describes these 5 days more accurately without seeming like it's achievable. Challenges are something that requires more effort to achieve. This is a way of life that is beyond difficult. It must take a toll on your body, mind and soul. It did on mine while I was food shopping.

For breakfast, we ate oatmeal cooked in water with a tablespoon of sugar and raisins then added some milk afterwards. It was good and filling.  This is a breakfast not to far from something I would make usually.

Maddie did ask for more oatmeal, but that would have blown the budget.

For snack at school, Maddie took some grapes and a water bottle. I wish I was able to have a snack, but nope I have to ration the fruit I have in the house to last until Thursday. It's more important for Maddie and Holden to have access to the fruits.

Lunch was a ham and cheese sandwich with grapes. I was hungry at 11am, but I waited to eat with Maddie.




By dinnertime, I was very hungry.  Dinner was also something I would typically make, Vegetables with couscous. The box of couscous cost $.99 cents and fed the three of us with leftovers. The vegetables I used were 1 zucchini, 1 onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 hand full of frozen green beans, and 10 strips of frozen peppers.

This meal was delicious. Rob had commented that living below the line has tasted okay, he just wished I could have factored pretzels and more meat into our meals. I am thankful I can cook. I think if I was inexperienced, our meals would be bland and mushy.

I do feel healthier. I think it has more to do with the lack of fats and meat in our meals, but I am looking forward to being able to eating a chicken breast.

No comments:

Post a Comment